Our Three Drops from a Cauldron: Midwinter 2017 is now open for submissions until 20th November 2017. By Midwinter I mean the solstice, so we want your poetry and flash fiction full of lore and legend surrounding the darkest time of the year, as well as the gradual return of the light. Christmas, Krampus, ice and snow, Norse gods, the solstice, wolves, forests, candle magic, night, the northern lights, and anything else you think might fit – if it’s cold and frosty, we’d like to see it (unless it’s just a pint of beer, but even then…)
This edition will be published online and in print on Monday 11th December.
And it will be our last seasonal special until 2019. So if you want to submit, there’s no better time to do it! (The web journal will be back in spring, but Kate needs to cut down on work for a year to focus more on her babies – and her big kids, too.)
- Please send 1-5 poems (any length, within reason) or 1-3 flash fictions (up to but not exceeding 1,000 words) – or some combination of the two – to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please send your pieces TOGETHER in ONE document (.doc, .docx, .rtf) or in the body of an email. Please DO NOT send PDFs. They will not be considered.
- Please a short, third-person bio note of 100 words or under with your submission.
- Previously published is fine, but please let me know where it appeared first so I can credit them.
- Simultaneous submissions are also fine, but please inform us ASAP if the work is accepted elsewhere. Also, if we accept your work first, it is good form to withdraw it from any other places where it is currently under consideration. If you do not intend to do these two things, please do not simultaneously submit.
- Please make sure your work is on the general themes for Three Drops: folklore, mythology, legends, fairytales.
- Payment for appearing in our print publications is a share of royalties from sales after 6 months. We unfortunately cannot provide print contributor copies at this time.
- Again, the deadline for Midwinter 2017 is 20th November 2017.
- Again, this edition will be published online and in print on Monday 11th December 2017.
- This edition will be edited by Kate Garrett, and pieces will be selected with help from the entire Three Drops from a Cauldron editorial team: Becca Goodin, Loma Jones, Amy Kinsman, Holly Magill, Penny Sharman, Grant Tarbard, and Claire Walker.
- We look forward to reading your work!