Our Three Drops from a Cauldron: Samhain 2018 special is now open for submissions until 23:59 (your own time zone) on Sunday 7th October. This year’s Samhain and Midwinter specials will not be appearing in print, they will be online only issues.
In addition to the change to e-issue only, this will be our final Samhain special edition, so we want to make it count. After Midwinter 2018 we will not be publishing seasonal specials.
For Samhain, we want to see poetry, flash fiction and visual art involving the spookier side of folklore, mythology, and fairy tales – ghosts, demons, witches, superstitions, dark fairies – as well as autumn traditions and lore, anything involving the harvests and preparing for winter, and the festivals and feasts of Samhain, All Hallows/All Saints/All Souls themselves.
- Please send 1-5 poems (any length, within reason), 1-3 flash fictions (up to but not exceeding 1,000 words), 1-5 pieces of visual art – or some combination of the three – to email@example.com
- Please send your pieces TOGETHER in ONE document (.doc, .docx, .rtf) or in the body of an email. Please DO NOT send PDFs. They will not be considered.
- In the subject line please put ‘Samhain Submission – your name’ e.g. ‘Samhain Submission – Tam Lin’
- Please include a short, third-person bio note of 100 words or less with your submission.
- Previously published is fine, but please let me know where it appeared first so I can credit them.
- Simultaneous submissions are also fine, but please inform us ASAP if the work is accepted elsewhere. Also, if we accept your work first, it is good form to withdraw it from any other places where it is currently under consideration. If you do not intend to do these two things, please do not simultaneously submit.
- Please make sure your work is on the general themes for Three Drops: folklore, mythology, legends, fairytales. If you have any straight-up horror of any other kind that does not relate to these themes, check out our sister publication Lonesome October Lit and consider submitting. We have a Halloween issue there as well!
- Because this edition is being published online only, and is free to read, there is no payment to writers.
- Again, the deadline for Samhain 2018 is Sunday 7th October 2018.
- Again, this edition will be published online and in print on Tuesday 30th October 2018.
- This edition will be edited by Kate Garrett, but work for seasonal editions is selected by majority votes from our full editorial team – Becca Goodin, Loma Sylvana Jones, Amy Kinsman, Holly Magill, Grant Tarbard, Penny Sharman, and Claire Walker.
- We look forward to reading your work!